SOLU-CORTEF (hydrocortisone sodium succinate) is contraindicated:
- in patients with known hypersensitivity to any components of the product;
- in patients with systemic fungal infections;
- in idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura when administered intramuscularly;
- in patients administered with live or live, attenuated vaccines while receiving immunosuppressive doses of corticosteroids;
- in herpes simplex of the eye, except when used for short-term or emergency therapy as in acute sensitivity reactions;
- in patients with vaccinia and varicella, except when used for short-term or emergency therapy as in acute sensitivity reactions.
SOLU-CORTEF is not indicated for epidural route of administration.
SOLU-CORTEF is not indicated for intrathecal route of administration, except as part of certain chemotherapeutic regimens (diluents containing benzyl alcohol must not be used).
Reports of serious medical events, including death, have been associated with epidural and intrathecal routes of corticosteroid administration.