Methotrexate Injection USP is contraindicated:
- In patients who are hypersensitive to this drug or to any ingredient in the formulation or component of the container. For a complete listing, see the DOSAGE FORMS, COMPOSITION AND PACKAGING section.
- In patients with severe renal impairment.
- In pregnant patients with psoriasis or rheumatoid arthritis and should be used in the treatment of neoplastic diseases only when the potential benefit outweighs the risk to the fetus.
- In women of childbearing potential until pregnancy is excluded.
- In nursing mothers.
- In patients with psoriasis or rheumatoid arthritis with alcoholism, alcoholic liver disease or other chronic liver disease.
- In patients with psoriasis or rheumatoid arthritis who have overt or laboratory evidence of immunodeficiency syndromes.
- In patients with psoriasis or rheumatoid arthritis who have pre-existing blood dyscrasias, such as bone marrow hypoplasia, leucopenia, thrombocytopenia or significant anemia.
- With nitrous oxide anesthesia (see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS: Renal and DRUG INTERACTIONS: Drug-Drug Interactions).
Methotrexate Injection USP formulations containing benzyl alcohol are also contraindicated:
- To use for intrathecal, intraventricular, or high-dose therapy.
- To use in neonates (children less than one month age).