Combination Oral Contraceptives (COCs) are contraindicated in the following:
- History of or actual thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders.
- History of or actual cerebrovascular disorders.
- History of or actual myocardial infarction or coronary arterial disease.
- Deep vein thrombosis (current or history)
- Thrombogenic valvulopathies and Thrombogenic rhythm disorders
- Hereditary or acquired thrombophilias
- Migraine with focal neurological symptoms such as aura (current or history)
- Active liver disease or abnormal liver function testing.
- History of or actual benign or malignant liver tumours.
- Known or suspected carcinoma of the breast.
- Known or suspected estrogen-dependent neoplasia.
- Undiagnosed abnormal vaginal bleeding.
- Steroid-dependent jaundice, cholestatic jaundice, history of jaundice of pregnancy.
- Any ocular lesion arising from ophthalmic vascular disease, such as partial or complete loss of vision or defect in visual fields.
- When pregnancy is suspected or diagnosed.
- Hypersensitivity to any of the components of ALESSE. For a complete listing, see the DOSAGE FORMS, COMPOSITION AND PACKAGING section of the product monograph.
- Diabetes with vascular involvement
- Uncontrolled hypertension
- Pancreatitis associated with severe hypertriglyceridemia (current or history)
Use with the anti-viral Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) combination drug regimen ombitasvir, paritaprevir, ritonavir and dasabuvir, with or without ribavirin (see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS: Hepatic/Biliary/Pancreatic and DRUG INTERACTIONS).